بِسْمِ ٱللَّٰهِ ٱلرَّحْمَٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ
In The Name of God, The Most Merciful, The Ever-Merciful to His believing servants.
لَآ أُقْسِمُ بِهَٰذَا ٱلْبَلَدِ
- No (O man! The affair is not as you presume that you will not be resurrected). I do swear by this city (of Mecca) (in which you reside O Muhammad).
وَأَنتَ حِلٌّۢ بِهَٰذَا ٱلْبَلَدِ
- And you are free (from sin, to punish the enemies of Islam on the Day of the conquest) in this city (Makkah) ,
وَوَالِدٍ وَمَا وَلَدَ
- And by the begetter (Adam) and that which he begot (his progeny);
لَقَدْ خَلَقْنَا ٱلْإِنسَٰنَ فِى كَبَدٍ
- Verily, We have created man in toil.
أَيَحْسَبُ أَن لَّن يَقْدِرَ عَلَيْهِ أَحَدٌ
- Thinks he that none can overcome him?
يَقُولُ أَهْلَكْتُ مَالًا لُّبَدًا
- He says (boastfully): “I have wasted wealth in abundance!”
أَيَحْسَبُ أَن لَّمْ يَرَهُۥٓ أَحَدٌ
- Does he think that no one sees him?
أَلَمْ نَجْعَل لَّهُۥ عَيْنَيْنِ
- Have We not made for him a pair of eyes?
- And a tongue and a pair of lips?
- And shown him the two ways (good and evil)?
فَلَا ٱقْتَحَمَ ٱلْعَقَبَةَ
- But he has made no effort to pass on the path that is steep.
وَمَآ أَدْرَىٰكَ مَا ٱلْعَقَبَةُ
- And what will make you know the path that is steep?
- (It is) Freeing a neck (slave, etc.)
أَوْ إِطْعَٰمٌ فِى يَوْمٍ ذِى مَسْغَبَةٍ
- Or giving food in a day of hunger (famine),
يَتِيمًا ذَا مَقْرَبَةٍ
- To an orphan near of kin.
أَوْ مِسْكِينًا ذَا مَتْرَبَةٍ
- Or to a Miskeen (poor) afflicted with misery.
ثُمَّ كَانَ مِنَ ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوا۟ وَتَوَاصَوْا۟ بِٱلصَّبْرِ وَتَوَاصَوْا۟ بِٱلْمَرْحَمَةِ
- Then he became one of those who believed, and recommended one another to perseverance and patience, and (also) recommended one another to pity and compassion.
أُو۟لَٰٓئِكَ أَصْحَٰبُ ٱلْمَيْمَنَةِ
- They are those on the Right Hand (the dwellers of Paradise),
وَٱلَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا۟ بِـَٔايَٰتِنَا هُمْ أَصْحَٰبُ ٱلْمَشْـَٔمَةِ
- But those who disbelieved in Our Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), they are those on the Left Hand (the dwellers of Hell).
عَلَيْهِمْ نَارٌ مُّؤْصَدَةٌۢ
- The Fire will be shut over them (i.e. they will be enveloped by the Fire without any opening or window or outlet).