بِسْمِ ٱللَّٰهِ ٱلرَّحْمَٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ
In The Name of God, The Most Merciful, The Ever-Merciful to His believing servants.
ٱقْرَأْ بِٱسْمِ رَبِّكَ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَ
- Read! In the Name of your Lord, Who has created (all that exists),
خَلَقَ ٱلْإِنسَٰنَ مِنْ عَلَقٍ
- Has created man out of what clings (to the wall of the womb).
ٱقْرَأْ وَرَبُّكَ ٱلْأَكْرَمُ
- Read! And your Lord is the Most Generous,
ٱلَّذِى عَلَّمَ بِٱلْقَلَمِ
- Who has taught (the writing) by the pen (the first person to write was Prophet Idrees (Enoch)),
عَلَّمَ ٱلْإِنسَٰنَ مَا لَمْ يَعْلَمْ
- Has taught man that which he knew not.
كَلَّآ إِنَّ ٱلْإِنسَٰنَ لَيَطْغَىٰٓ
- Nay! Verily, man transgresses.
أَن رَّءَاهُ ٱسْتَغْنَىٰٓ
- Because he considers himself self-sufficient.
إِنَّ إِلَىٰ رَبِّكَ ٱلرُّجْعَىٰٓ
- Surely! To your Lord is the return.
أَرَءَيْتَ ٱلَّذِى يَنْهَىٰ
- Have you seen him (Abu Jahl) who prevents,
عَبْدًا إِذَا صَلَّىٰٓ
- A slave (Muhammad) when he prays?
أَرَءَيْتَ إِن كَانَ عَلَى ٱلْهُدَىٰٓ
- Have you considered (O Abu Jahl) if he, (Muhammad), is upon guidance.
أَوْ أَمَرَ بِٱلتَّقْوَىٰٓ
- Or enjoins piety?
أَرَءَيْتَ إِن كَذَّبَ وَتَوَلَّىٰٓ
- Have you considered (O Muhammad) if he—(Abu Jahl)—rejects (the truth, this Qurʾān) and turns away (from monotheism and righteous works).
أَلَمْ يَعْلَم بِأَنَّ ٱللَّهَ يَرَىٰ
- Does he not know that God sees (him and what he does)?
كَلَّا لَئِن لَّمْ يَنتَهِ لَنَسْفَعًۢا بِٱلنَّاصِيَةِ
- Nay! If he (Abu Jahl) ceases not, We will surely drag him (in humiliation) by his forelock.
نَاصِيَةٍ كَٰذِبَةٍ خَاطِئَةٍ
- A lying (in speech) and sinful forelock (in deed)!
- Then, let him call upon his council (of helpers),
- We will call the (mighty, severe, stern) guardian Angels (of Hell to deal with him)!
كَلَّا لَا تُطِعْهُ وَٱسْجُدْ وَٱقْتَرِب
- Nay (O Muhammad)! Do not obey him (Abu Jahl). Fall prostrate (in prayer) and draw near (to God through worship and obedience)!