بِسْمِ ٱللَّٰهِ ٱلرَّحْمَٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ
In The Name of God, The Most Merciful, The Ever-Merciful to His believing servants.
وَٱلنَّجْمِ إِذَا هَوَىٰ
- By the star when it goes down, (or vanishes).
مَا ضَلَّ صَاحِبُكُمْ وَمَا غَوَىٰ
- Your companion (Muhammad) has neither gone astray nor has erred.
وَمَا يَنطِقُ عَنِ ٱلْهَوَىٰٓ
- Nor does he speak of (his own) desire.
إِنْ هُوَ إِلَّا وَحْىٌ يُوحَىٰ
- It is only an Inspiration that is inspired.
عَلَّمَهُۥ شَدِيدُ ٱلْقُوَىٰ
- He has been taught (this Quran) by one mighty in power (Jibrael (Gabriel)).
ذُو مِرَّةٍ فَٱسْتَوَىٰ
- Possessor of beauty and soundness (in body and mind) (who then) ascended (to his place).
وَهُوَ بِٱلْأُفُقِ ٱلْأَعْلَىٰ
- While he (Gabriel)) was in the highest part of the horizon,
ثُمَّ دَنَا فَتَدَلَّىٰ
- Then he (Gabriel) approached and came closer (to the Prophet).
فَكَانَ قَابَ قَوْسَيْنِ أَوْ أَدْنَىٰ
- And he was at a distance of two bow lengths or nearer (to him).
فَأَوْحَىٰٓ إِلَىٰ عَبْدِهِۦ مَآ أَوْحَىٰ
- So did (God) convey the Inspiration to His slave (Muhammad through Jibrael (Gabriel)).
مَا كَذَبَ ٱلْفُؤَادُ مَا رَأَىٰٓ
- The (Prophets) heart lied not (in seeing) what he (Muhammad) saw.
أَفَتُمَٰرُونَهُۥ عَلَىٰ مَا يَرَىٰ
- Will you then dispute with him (Muhammad) about what he saw (during the Miraj: (Ascent of the Prophet over the seven heavens)) .
وَلَقَدْ رَءَاهُ نَزْلَةً أُخْرَىٰ
- And indeed he (Muhammad) saw him (Jibrael (Gabriel)) at a second descent (i.e. another time).
عِندَ سِدْرَةِ ٱلْمُنتَهَىٰ
- Near the Lote-Tree of the utmost boundary (beyond which none can pass),
عِندَهَا جَنَّةُ ٱلْمَأْوَىٰٓ
- Near it is the Paradise of Abode.
إِذْ يَغْشَى ٱلسِّدْرَةَ مَا يَغْشَىٰ
- When that covered the lote-tree which did cover it!
مَا زَاغَ ٱلْبَصَرُ وَمَا طَغَىٰ
- The sight (of Prophet Muhammad) turned not aside (right or left), nor it transgressed beyond (the) limit (ordained for it).
لَقَدْ رَأَىٰ مِنْ ءَايَٰتِ رَبِّهِ ٱلْكُبْرَىٰٓ
- He certainly saw (on that night) of the greatest signs of his Lord (such as Jibrīl in his original form).
أَفَرَءَيْتُمُ ٱللَّٰتَ وَٱلْعُزَّىٰ
- Have you then considered Al-Lat, and Al-Uzza (two idols of the pagan Arabs)
وَمَنَوٰةَ ٱلثَّالِثَةَ ٱلْأُخْرَىٰٓ
- And Manat (another idol of the pagan Arabs), the other third?
أَلَكُمُ ٱلذَّكَرُ وَلَهُ ٱلْأُنثَىٰ
- Is it for you the males and for Him the females?
تِلْكَ إِذًا قِسْمَةٌ ضِيزَىٰٓ
- That indeed is a division most unfair!
إِنْ هِىَ إِلَّآ أَسْمَآءٌ سَمَّيْتُمُوهَآ أَنتُمْ وَءَابَآؤُكُم مَّآ أَنزَلَ ٱللَّهُ بِهَا مِن سُلْطَٰنٍ إِن يَتَّبِعُونَ إِلَّا ٱلظَّنَّ وَمَا تَهْوَى ٱلْأَنفُسُ وَلَقَدْ جَآءَهُم مِّن رَّبِّهِمُ ٱلْهُدَىٰٓ
- They are but names which you have named, you and your fathers, for which God has sent down no authority. They follow but a guess and that which they themselves desire, whereas there has surely come to them the Guidance from their Lord!
أَمْ لِلْإِنسَٰنِ مَا تَمَنَّىٰ
- Or shall man have what he wishes?
فَلِلَّهِ ٱلْءَاخِرَةُ وَٱلْأُولَىٰ
- But to God belongs the last (Hereafter) and the first (the world).
وَكَم مِّن مَّلَكٍ فِى ٱلسَّمَٰوَٰتِ لَا تُغْنِى شَفَٰعَتُهُمْ شَيْـًٔا إِلَّا مِنۢ بَعْدِ أَن يَأْذَنَ ٱللَّهُ لِمَن يَشَآءُ وَيَرْضَىٰٓ
- And there are many angels in the heavens, whose intercession will avail nothing except after God has given leave for whom He wills and pleases.
إِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ لَا يُؤْمِنُونَ بِٱلْءَاخِرَةِ لَيُسَمُّونَ ٱلْمَلَٰٓئِكَةَ تَسْمِيَةَ ٱلْأُنثَىٰ
- Verily, those who believe not in the Hereafter, name the angels with female names.
وَمَا لَهُم بِهِۦ مِنْ عِلْمٍ إِن يَتَّبِعُونَ إِلَّا ٱلظَّنَّ وَإِنَّ ٱلظَّنَّ لَا يُغْنِى مِنَ ٱلْحَقِّ شَيْـًٔا
- While they have no knowledge thereof. They follow but a guess, and verily, guess is no substitute for the truth.
فَأَعْرِضْ عَن مَّن تَوَلَّىٰ عَن ذِكْرِنَا وَلَمْ يُرِدْ إِلَّا ٱلْحَيَوٰةَ ٱلدُّنْيَا
- Therefore withdraw (O Muhammad) from him who turns away from Our Reminder (this Quran) and desires nothing but the life of this world.
ذَٰلِكَ مَبْلَغُهُم مِّنَ ٱلْعِلْمِ إِنَّ رَبَّكَ هُوَ أَعْلَمُ بِمَن ضَلَّ عَن سَبِيلِهِۦ وَهُوَ أَعْلَمُ بِمَنِ ٱهْتَدَىٰ
- That is what they could reach of knowledge. Verily, your Lord it is He Who knows best him who goes astray from His Path, and He knows best him who receives guidance.
وَلِلَّهِ مَا فِى ٱلسَّمَٰوَٰتِ وَمَا فِى ٱلْأَرْضِ لِيَجْزِىَ ٱلَّذِينَ أَسَٰٓـُٔوا۟ بِمَا عَمِلُوا۟ وَيَجْزِىَ ٱلَّذِينَ أَحْسَنُوا۟ بِٱلْحُسْنَى
- And to God belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth, that He may requite those who do evil with that which they have done (i.e. punish them in Hell), and reward those who do good, with what is best (i.e. Paradise).
ٱلَّذِينَ يَجْتَنِبُونَ كَبَٰٓئِرَ ٱلْإِثْمِ وَٱلْفَوَٰحِشَ إِلَّا ٱللَّمَمَ إِنَّ رَبَّكَ وَٰسِعُ ٱلْمَغْفِرَةِ هُوَ أَعْلَمُ بِكُمْ إِذْ أَنشَأَكُم مِّنَ ٱلْأَرْضِ وَإِذْ أَنتُمْ أَجِنَّةٌ فِى بُطُونِ أُمَّهَٰتِكُمْ فَلَا تُزَكُّوٓا۟ أَنفُسَكُمْ هُوَ أَعْلَمُ بِمَنِ ٱتَّقَىٰٓ
- (They are) those who avoid major sins and immoral deeds, save the lesser sins (those which are done rarely and not persisted upon). Indeed, your Lord is of vast forgiveness (for the one who errs and then repents). He was most knowledgeable of you when He produced you (in the form of Ādam) from the (materials of the) earth and when you were fetuses in your mothers’ wombs. So do not praise and ascribe purity to yourselves, for He is most knowledgeable of the one who is fearfully dutiful (to Him).
أَفَرَءَيْتَ ٱلَّذِى تَوَلَّىٰ
- Did you (O Muhammad) observe him who turned away (from Islam).
وَأَعْطَىٰ قَلِيلًا وَأَكْدَىٰٓ
- And gave a little, then stopped (giving)?
أَعِندَهُۥ عِلْمُ ٱلْغَيْبِ فَهُوَ يَرَىٰٓ
- Is with him the knowledge of the unseen so that he sees?
أَمْ لَمْ يُنَبَّأْ بِمَا فِى صُحُفِ مُوسَىٰ
- Or is he not informed with what is in the Pages (Scripture) of Moses,
وَإِبْرَٰهِيمَ ٱلَّذِى وَفَّىٰٓ
- And of Abraham who fulfilled (or conveyed) all that (what God ordered him to do or convey),
أَلَّا تَزِرُ وَازِرَةٌ وِزْرَ أُخْرَىٰ
- That no burdened person (with sins) shall bear the burden (sins) of another,
وَأَن لَّيْسَ لِلْإِنسَٰنِ إِلَّا مَا سَعَىٰ
- And that man can have nothing but what he does (good or bad),
وَأَنَّ سَعْيَهُۥ سَوْفَ يُرَىٰ
- And that his deeds will be seen,
ثُمَّ يُجْزَىٰهُ ٱلْجَزَآءَ ٱلْأَوْفَىٰ
- Then he will be recompensed with a full and the best recompense
وَأَنَّ إِلَىٰ رَبِّكَ ٱلْمُنتَهَىٰ
- And that to your Lord (God) is the End (Return of everything).
وَأَنَّهُۥ هُوَ أَضْحَكَ وَأَبْكَىٰ
- And that it is He (God) Who makes (whom He wills) laugh, and makes (whom He wills) weep;
وَأَنَّهُۥ هُوَ أَمَاتَ وَأَحْيَا
- And that it is He (God) Who causes death and gives life;
وَأَنَّهُۥ خَلَقَ ٱلزَّوْجَيْنِ ٱلذَّكَرَ وَٱلْأُنثَىٰ
- And that He (God) creates the pairs, male and female,
مِن نُّطْفَةٍ إِذَا تُمْنَىٰ
- From Nutfah (drops of semen male and female discharges) when it is emitted;
وَأَنَّ عَلَيْهِ ٱلنَّشْأَةَ ٱلْأُخْرَىٰ
- And that upon Him (God) is another bringing forth (Resurrection);
وَأَنَّهُۥ هُوَ أَغْنَىٰ وَأَقْنَىٰ
- And that it is He (God) Who gives much or a little (or gives wealth and contentment),
وَأَنَّهُۥ هُوَ رَبُّ ٱلشِّعْرَىٰ
- And that He (God) is the Lord of Sirius (the star which the pagan Arabs used to worship);
وَأَنَّهُۥٓ أَهْلَكَ عَادًا ٱلْأُولَىٰ
- And that it is He (God) Who destroyed the former Ad (people),
وَثَمُودَا۟ فَمَآ أَبْقَىٰ
- And Thamood (people). He spared none of them.
وَقَوْمَ نُوحٍ مِّن قَبْلُ إِنَّهُمْ كَانُوا۟ هُمْ أَظْلَمَ وَأَطْغَىٰ
- And the people of Noah aforetime, verily, they were more unjust and more rebellious and transgressing (in disobeying God and His Messenger Noah).
- And He destroyed the overthrown cities (of Sodom to which Prophet Lot was sent).
فَغَشَّىٰهَا مَا غَشَّىٰ
- So there covered them that which did cover (i.e. torment with stones).
فَبِأَىِّ ءَالَآءِ رَبِّكَ تَتَمَارَىٰ
- Then which of the Graces of your Lord (O man!) will you doubt.
هَٰذَا نَذِيرٌ مِّنَ ٱلنُّذُرِ ٱلْأُولَىٰٓ
- This (Muhammad) is a warner (Messenger) of the (series of) warners (Messengers) of old.
- The Day of Resurrection draws near,
لَيْسَ لَهَا مِن دُونِ ٱللَّهِ كَاشِفَةٌ
- None besides God can avert it, (or advance it, or delay it).
أَفَمِنْ هَٰذَا ٱلْحَدِيثِ تَعْجَبُونَ
- Do you then wonder at this recital (the Quran)?
وَتَضْحَكُونَ وَلَا تَبْكُونَ
- And you laugh at it and weep not,
- Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing, etc.).
فَٱسْجُدُوا۟ لِلَّهِ وَٱعْبُدُوا۟
- So fall you down in prostration to God, and worship Him (Alone).