بِسْمِ ٱللَّٰهِ ٱلرَّحْمَٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ
In The Name of God, The Most Merciful, The Ever-Merciful to His believing servants.
- By those (angels) who pull out (the souls of the disbelievers and the wicked) with great violence;
- By those (angels) who gently take out (the souls of the believers);
- And by those that swim along (i.e. angels or planets in their orbits, etc.).
- And by those that press forward as in a race (i.e. the angels or stars or the horses, etc.).
- And by those angels who arrange to do the Commands of their Lord, (so verily, you disbelievers will be called to account).
يَوْمَ تَرْجُفُ ٱلرَّاجِفَةُ
- On the Day (when the first blowing of the Trumpet is blown), the earth and the mountains will shake violently (and everybody will die),
- The second blowing of the Trumpet follows it (and everybody will be raised up),
قُلُوبٌ يَوْمَئِذٍ وَاجِفَةٌ
- (Some) hearts that Day will shake with fear and anxiety.
- Their eyes cast down.
يَقُولُونَ أَءِنَّا لَمَرْدُودُونَ فِى ٱلْحَافِرَةِ
- They say: “Shall we indeed be returned to (our) former state of life?
أَءِذَا كُنَّا عِظَٰمًا نَّخِرَةً
- “Even after we are crumbled bones?”
قَالُوا۟ تِلْكَ إِذًا كَرَّةٌ خَاسِرَةٌ
- They say: “It would in that case, be a return with loss!”
فَإِنَّمَا هِىَ زَجْرَةٌ وَٰحِدَةٌ
- But only, it will be a single Zajrah (shout (i.e., the second blowing of the Trumpet)). (See Verse 37:19).
فَإِذَا هُم بِٱلسَّاهِرَةِ
- When, behold, they find themselves over the earth alive after their death,
هَلْ أَتَىٰكَ حَدِيثُ مُوسَىٰٓ
- Has there come to you the story of Moosa (Moses)?
إِذْ نَادَىٰهُ رَبُّهُۥ بِٱلْوَادِ ٱلْمُقَدَّسِ طُوًى
- When his Lord called him in the sacred valley of Toowa,
ٱذْهَبْ إِلَىٰ فِرْعَوْنَ إِنَّهُۥ طَغَىٰ
- Go to Firaun (Pharaoh), verily, he has transgressed all bounds (in crimes, sins, polytheism, disbelief, etc.).
فَقُلْ هَل لَّكَ إِلَىٰٓ أَن تَزَكَّىٰ
- And say to him: “Would you purify yourself (from the sin of disbelief by becoming a believer)”,
وَأَهْدِيَكَ إِلَىٰ رَبِّكَ فَتَخْشَىٰ
- And that I guide you to your Lord, so you should fear Him?
فَأَرَىٰهُ ٱلْءَايَةَ ٱلْكُبْرَىٰ
- Then (Moosa (Moses)) showed him the great sign (miracles).
- But (Firaun (Pharaoh)) belied and disobeyed;
ثُمَّ أَدْبَرَ يَسْعَىٰ
- Then he turned his back, striving hard (against God).
- Then he gathered his people and cried aloud,
فَقَالَ أَنَا۠ رَبُّكُمُ ٱلْأَعْلَىٰ
- Saying: “I am your lord, most high”,
فَأَخَذَهُ ٱللَّهُ نَكَالَ ٱلْءَاخِرَةِ وَٱلْأُولَىٰٓ
- So God, seized him with punishment for his last (i.e. his saying: “I am your lord, most high”) (see Verse 79:24)) and first ((i.e. his saying, “O chiefs! I know not that you have a god other than I” (see Verse 28:38)) transgression.
إِنَّ فِى ذَٰلِكَ لَعِبْرَةً لِّمَن يَخْشَىٰٓ
- Verily, in this is an instructive admonition for whosoever fears God.
ءَأَنتُمْ أَشَدُّ خَلْقًا أَمِ ٱلسَّمَآءُ بَنَىٰهَا
- Are you more difficult to create, or is the heaven that He constructed?
رَفَعَ سَمْكَهَا فَسَوَّىٰهَا
- He raised its height, and He has equally ordered it,
وَأَغْطَشَ لَيْلَهَا وَأَخْرَجَ ضُحَىٰهَا
- Its night He covers with darkness, and its forenoon He brings out (with light).
وَٱلْأَرْضَ بَعْدَ ذَٰلِكَ دَحَىٰهَآ
- And after that He spread the earth;
أَخْرَجَ مِنْهَا مَآءَهَا وَمَرْعَىٰهَا
- And brought forth therefrom its water and its pasture;
- And the mountains He has fixed firmly;
مَتَٰعًا لَّكُمْ وَلِأَنْعَٰمِكُمْ
- (To be) a provision and benefit for you and your cattle.
فَإِذَا جَآءَتِ ٱلطَّآمَّةُ ٱلْكُبْرَىٰ
- But when there comes the greatest catastrophe (i.e. the Day of Recompense, etc.),
يَوْمَ يَتَذَكَّرُ ٱلْإِنسَٰنُ مَا سَعَىٰ
- The Day when man shall remember what he strove for,
وَبُرِّزَتِ ٱلْجَحِيمُ لِمَن يَرَىٰ
- And Hell-fire shall be made apparent in full view for (every) one who sees,
فَأَمَّا مَن طَغَىٰ
- Then, for him who Tagha (transgressed all bounds, in disbelief, oppression and evil deeds of disobedience to God).
وَءَاثَرَ ٱلْحَيَوٰةَ ٱلدُّنْيَا
- And preferred the life of this world (by following his evil desires and lusts),
فَإِنَّ ٱلْجَحِيمَ هِىَ ٱلْمَأْوَىٰ
- Verily, his abode will be Hell-fire;
وَأَمَّا مَنْ خَافَ مَقَامَ رَبِّهِۦ وَنَهَى ٱلنَّفْسَ عَنِ ٱلْهَوَىٰ
- But as for him who feared standing before his Lord, and restrained himself from impure evil desires, and lusts.
فَإِنَّ ٱلْجَنَّةَ هِىَ ٱلْمَأْوَىٰ
- Verily, Paradise will be his abode.
يَسْـَٔلُونَكَ عَنِ ٱلسَّاعَةِ أَيَّانَ مُرْسَىٰهَا
- They ask you (O Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) about the Hour, – when will be its appointed time?
فِيمَ أَنتَ مِن ذِكْرَىٰهَآ
- You have no knowledge to say anything about it,
إِلَىٰ رَبِّكَ مُنتَهَىٰهَآ
- To your Lord belongs (the knowledge of) the term thereof?
إِنَّمَآ أَنتَ مُنذِرُ مَن يَخْشَىٰهَا
- You (O Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) are only a warner for those who fear it,
كَأَنَّهُمْ يَوْمَ يَرَوْنَهَا لَمْ يَلْبَثُوٓا۟ إِلَّا عَشِيَّةً أَوْ ضُحَىٰهَا
- The Day they see it, (it will be) as if they had not tarried (in this world) except an afternoon or a morning